Monday, August 20, 2007

Waiting Impatiently for Fall

Now that we are well into August, periodically we've been getting a day or two of cooler weather in western New York, and I'm loving it. Fall is my favorite time of year, although it wasn't until I was out of school and working that I truly realized it.

As a child I always looked forward to school starting up again, but part of that anticipation was just looking for something new after the activities of summer had palled. Where I grew up in southeastern Michigan, the first day of school was the Thursday following Labor Day. I always wanted to wear a new outfit the first day, but I was lucky if I got to wear my new school shoes because the beginning of September was still summery warm weather, and I'd have roasted in cool weather clothes in a non-air-conditioned school.

Fall is a transitional time, clearing away the remains of summer and preparing for winter. Nowadays for my husband Conrad and me, it means getting the chimney of the woodstove cleaned and ordering firewood; it means doing all the cleaning and tidying up that did not get done in spring; it means that I will be able to wear my handknit wool sweaters and socks again; and that I will feel much more inclined to cook and bake!

For knitters Fall also means getting ready for cold weather and the holiday gift-giving season. Soon the knitters who have been on hiatus over the summer, will notice cooler weather and be ready to get back into knitting again. Small projects such as hats, mittens, scarves and their variations will be started, perhaps as gifts for family and friends. The more ambitious will work on sweaters, shawls or throws.

Truly dedicated knitters - such as myself ;) - knit year-round, and have been making small or lightweight projects during hot weather. I'm always partial to socks - I will devote a future post entirely to socks - but I like to make them out of fine sock yarn on size 0 (2.5 mm) double-pointed needles.

Currently I am still working on the Zaza cardigan. Both fronts and the back are done, and I'm working on the first sleeve. Shortly I will have to get to work on samples for my knitting classes at New York Knits, but I'd like to have most of Zaza done.

I know from past experience that if I set a project aside to work on one that seems a higher priority, then it may be a long while before I get back to the first, and something may be lost while that projects sits and waits. Even though I try to be conscientious about making notes about my knitting, too often I will forget to jot down ideas I have while working on it, thinking well, of course, I'm going to remember that. ha.

No comments: