Sunday, August 17, 2008

Snowflake Helmet

With August winding down, I'm ready to start thinking about what's coming up for Fall. After having the summer off, my knitting classes will be starting up again in September at Spirit Work on Titus Ave, where I teach.

Just recently I finished making the samples for the Snowflake Helmet class. The helmet coordinates with the Snowflake Mitten, a class I taught this past winter. I'm rather pleased with how the helmet turned out. Inspired by Elizabeth Zimmermann's Maltese Fisherman's Hat in Knitter's Almanac, I used similar shaping for the back and sides of the helmet to cover the neck and ears. The front of the helmet comes down to just above the eyebrows, and the upper part is shaped smoothly to the head - no silly nobs or tassles or pompons!

You will notice that there are two different versions of the colorwork pattern. When I made the black and red one, I decided that I preferred fewer panels (and "seamlines") because they seemed too busy for such dramatic colors, but the less contrasty one of 2 softer shades of grey-blue need the busy-ness of the 6 panels. Students may choose to make their helmets either way.

In addition to the Snowflake Helmet, I'm also teaching classes on Two-Color Mittens, Heirloom Christmas Stockings, Quick-Knit Christmas Stocking, Glad Hands Gloves using the pattern I sold to iKnitiative - style A07, and an Aran Vest.

A fellow teacher, Jeannine S, and I are jointly teaching a Design Your Own Cabled or Aran Sweater, which will run from September through May - plenty of time to make at least one sweater!

And now back to the needles!

No comments: